Saturday, September 14, 2013

Perseverance

This week has been, lets just say unforgettable: on Sunday, my friend Sabah lost her brother in a car accident, and on Wednesday, my mom lost her brother. 

I like to think that I'm a pretty strong person, but this week was emotionally wearing me out. That was until I saw this in my driveway: 


What is so amazing about this? Its a flower, growing in the cracks of our driveway. 
How did it get there? I have no idea. 
How is it surviving, without any water, surrounded by cement, in this weather? I have no idea. 

I check it every morning and there it is, healthy as ever, blooming away. I even tried yanking it out, but it has somehow put its roots in the driveway.

To me, this flower represents hope. It represents a miracle. It represents strength. It represents perseverance. 
"Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives, and the fruits of your toil. But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Those who say, when afflicted with calamity, 'To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return.' They are those on whom descend blessings from their Lord, and mercy. They are the ones who receive guidance." (Quran 2:155-157).   
Sometimes the answer to your dilemma is as small as a flower, growing in your driveway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment