Monday, August 12, 2013

Why Res Ipsa Loquitur

Yes, peer pressure finally got to me and I started a blog. I have been meaning to do this for a while now but I couldn't create one until I found the perfect name. Per-fect. My friends and family can testify as to how many hours I wasted in the past few weeks trying to come up with something. Many many hours. Too many hours. But that's all old news now because I FINALLY have a title (although it took a while to confirm the spelling of loquitur)! You're now reading the title and thinking 'uhh that's the perfect one she was waiting for' but it is, yes it is. First year of law school in Torts we learned about "res ipsa loquitur" which means "the thing speaks for itself." Basically, sometimes, okay let me stop (didn't get very far did I?). I don't think I can explain this as quickly and concisely as I thought so let me get some help:
The classic example is the person who has an operation, has her appendix removed, and then some time after the operation she still has pain in her stomach, goes back to the doctor, takes an x-ray and sees that the scalpel, or the surgical knife, was still inside of her when she was sewn up. This is a clear case of res ipsa loquitur. There is no reason other than negligence that a doctor would sew a scalpel into somebody's stomach.   
So why and how is "res ipsa loquitur" the perfect name? Knowing myself (prepare yourself for a lot of random thoughts), I don' think there will be a consistent theme throughout the posts so the thing (aka blog) will speak for itself. I plan on posting pictures of family, friends, places, foods and just a bunch of other randomness. After typing all that out, I'm thinking I may have slightly overestimated the cleverness in creating this title. But just slightly. Regardless, enjoy the randomness :)


No comments:

Post a Comment